It is with a heavy heart we announce that Everpix will be shutting down in the coming weeks.
We started this company two years ago with the goals of solving the photo mess and designing better ways for people to enjoy their memories. We are very proud of the work we’ve done—from the cutting-edge…
It’s a cliché reply, but to the half-dozen folks who have asked me for my thoughts on this, my reply is “Startups are hard.”
It’s true. On a daily basis there are dozens of decisions that may one day lead to you writing a post like the one above, or lead you to an IPO, or lead you to something in between.
How do you price your product? Where do you advertise? Who do you hire? What do you optimize for in your product development process? How much money do you raise? How quickly do you ramp employees?
As “competitors” we only saw the Everpix handle these questions from a distance. I can definitely say we admired most every move they made along the way. Certainly we thought their product was simple and beautiful.
For people who are wondering about Picturelife, the good news is we’re very much here and here for the long-run. We’ve raised money, are spending our cash and have priced our product with the idea of staying around for a very long time. Our growth has likely not had the major spikes others have had — we’ve never been the darling of TechCrunch or Hacker News, but the charts look like a long sloping curve, up and to the right, steadily getting steeper, on into the future.
So, long live the great people who tried to make Everpix work. I hope, as they wind down the service, we as a company absorb some of the love of photographs and memories that the Everpix team most obviously shared with us. It was an honor to live along side them and we appreciate everything they did.
I’m delighted to share that I am now a general partner with Spark Capital. The team at Spark is an amazing group of people who teach me something new every day. I really appreciate all their support, and this endorsement of my work to date means a lot. I’m delighted we’ll have the opportunity to…
Of all the people I’ve met in this world of startups and investing, I don’t know if I could think more highly of a person than Andrew Parker. I still remember the first time we met — nextSummer — and off the bat I could tell he was a special guy. I feel lucky to have remained friends ever since.
Last week Andrew and I caught up for the first time since I became CEO at Picturelife. While most of the time we talked about the company and my new role, I also made sure I got an update from him. And he was telling me what was new with him, and what’s been interesting him, I interrupted Andrew and blurted “They had better make you Partner!”
Andrew said he wasn’t worried about it one way or another and tried to get back to what I had interrupted him from, but I wouldn’t let up. I remember saying something like “No, it’s something they really should do. Making you Partner would tell the world that Spark knows what the future of VC looks like and feels like.”
I meant it. And, hearing this news today couldn’t make me happier — happier as a friend, of course, but also as a Spark portfolio company, and, more broadly, as a actor in this world of early stage innovation and investing. Seeing Spark make Andrew a GP gives me faith in the firm and in this industry as a whole.
Tl;dr: Instead of earning equity from the businesses they accelerate, accelerators could earn royalties from the revenues of such businesses. This could enable accelerators to help entrepreneurs grow and bootstrap their business instead of forcing them to raise capital.
My wife and I co-founded the Voice123 brand ten years ago. Today, it’s a successful business with 30 employees. Its success didn’t depend on angels, accelerators, or venture capitalists (VCs). In fact, had we listened to any of them, Voice123 would not exist today. There are thousands, maybe millions, of entrepreneurs like us out there. The current model made popular by Silicon Valley is suffocating many of them and killing startups that could also become successful. This article explains how and offers an alternative.
Congratulations! Together, we’ve connected for face-to-face conversations for more than a million minutes. That’s like me and you talking constantly for two years straight. Luckily, the whole Ohours community helped out, and we still have vocal chords.
I wanted to take a second to recap some of…
So proud of this. Who can be the next custodian of Ohours?
In these gloomy winter months, we’re always looking for something to lift our spirits. We decided to embrace the darkness and have a little fun doing it. Using a flash and some finger flashlights, we used the long night to our advantage by drawing in the dark!
I know I post these every so often, but today we announced that we’ve raised a $9 million Series A. This is a big number and what it means most is that Percolate is very much hiring. We’re pretty much hiring across the board, but here’s a quick rundown of the current open positions on the site:
Account Executive: This is the title we have for our more senior sellers. The job is about getting in front of Fortune 500 brands and helping them understand the value of Percolate.
Engineer: We’re hiring for both Jr. & Sr. engineers (as well as frontend). We are a technology company first-and-foremost and hiring the best engineers is part of what we need to do to succeed.
Designer: We have a top-notch design team here and really believe that the product is dependent on keeping that quality as high as possible.
What’s fun about being simultaneously n00bish and seasoned with writing code, is I still find delight in some of its simplest of features. Played around with Ruby’s Range class this morning (working on adding some better SmartAlbums), and never having used Range for Strings, I was excited to find this:
You would think the story of how Spark came to be investing in Picturelife would be simple enough. After all the Founder, Charles Forman, was also the founder of OMGPOP, another Spark portfolio company. But actually Charles had been keeping a low profile with his new gig, so it initially came to our attention in the best way possible, as a user.
In Flickr’s place was Instagram and Facebook. They are wonderful experiences, but they are communication mediums for the 1% of photos worth sharing. What about the other 99%? iCloud was great but I want more than the last 1,000 photos on my device, I want all of them, and shareable to the services I care about like Tumblr and Twitter without hurdles. Google, and Microsoft had solutions of course, but they seemed more obsessed with locking you into their platforms than creating new experiences.
Finally the team at Picturelife let us in on their project. I was hooked. Hooked on the product, on the vision for where it was headed, and hooked on the team.
“Instagram and Facebook. They are wonderful experiences, but they are communication mediums for the 1% of photos worth sharing. What about the other 99%?”
Why is the other 99% worth anything? In an era where film is free, you’d expect the ratio of “good” photos to “bad” photos to approach 1%:99%.
I can only tell you my personal story:
A few years ago, I tragically lost my best friend.
Today, I have every single photo he and I ever took together. Some of them were “share” worthy… those were mostly shots at museums in Spain when we traveled there after high school.
Most, though, would have never been shared. They are the 99%. Photographically terrible photos. But today, they are how I relive the too-short time I spent with him. They’re the photos I cry to.
Those sloppy photos are where the real memories live. Our challenge at Picturelife is helping you live with all those photos. How to uncover old ones and good one. Help you deal with owning tens of thousands of photos that have the potential to make no one cry but you.
OK, lots of “fun” news about Romney imploding in various ways and Obama polling better, but that isn’t why Obama will win. He’ll win because MORE PEOPLE VOTE FOR HIM. The way you personally can ensure this happens is by using this tool: call.barackobama.com.